Hello, friends and family! I introduce you to the wonderful blog that will allow you to keep track of my adventures in Germany (and beyond...) during the summer of 2011. In here, I will post weekly blog posts that will count for fulfilling the requirements for the credits I am receiving for my internship, as well as additional posts to keep everyone up to speed on what I am doing and who I am with. Feel free to share with anyone who would be interested!

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Life Without a Laptop: Part Zwei (April 28-30)

I came in to this experience thinking that Germans were fun, yet could be a bit dry in their humor.  Uptight people who have fun, if that makes sense.  Since then, I have learned that there's the whole spectrum of people, just like in the U.S.  Some of my friends are very fun to be around, some are a bit too serious and some are just really shy.  It's an interesting experience.

I had the opportunity to go to the LC (local committee) meeting for AIESEC Koblenz yesterday.  I intriduced myself to them and showed them how to do a lecture presentation for recruiting new members.  As the VP-Talent Management in AIESEC Michigan, I think I have some experience recruiting new members.  Thus, I will be helping them out with what I can in their recruiting efforts.  They have 13 members and are looking to take as many people as they can.

Tour de Koblenz!

The day I had been waiting for finally arrived!  Today I got to go to the city and do some people watching and sightseeing.  Turns out I am still missing an insurance document so we couldn't sign the paperwork I need to open a bank account.  This should be solved soon, I hope...

Anyway, moving on to the city.  Annemarie, one of the members of AIESEC Koblenz, took me to the center of town.  Another AIESECer (member of AIESEC = AIESECer) dropped us off at the mall in town and then we started walking all over the old part of town, Altstadt.  It's a really colorful town, and Annemarie was a lot of fun to hang out with.  We ended up sitting next to a beautiful church talking about books and politics.
The church from my sitting point of view
After this we went to the place where the Rhine and Mosel rivers meet.  This place is called Deutsches Eck, or German Corner.  There is a huge statue of Kaiser Wilhelm I, who is the founder of what can be considered Germany.  He brought all the German kingdoms, duchies and principalities together and was the first German Emperor.
The statue of Kaiser Wilhelm

Across the river

Also in this area there is a huge festival that the German state decided to throw for the first time, and they picked Koblenz to host it.  The festival is all about gardens, and it is called the Bundesgartenshou, or BUGA.  I am yet to go, since you have to pay to get in, but I will have to hit it up later.

Finally, it was time to go back to the university.  It turns out that Annemarie gets very carsick and thus hates buses.  She asked if we could walk halfway and take the bus the rest of the way, so of course we proceeded to walk the entire way.  A combination of not wanting to make her carsick and how gorgeous the walk was made me decide to keep on walking.  The hour-long was was worth it because the entire way we walked alongside the Mosel, which was beautiful.




You know that feeling you get when you walk a long distance?  The one where you feel like you could keep walking to the end of the world as long as you keep walking, but then feel like you want to die as soon as you stop?  Yea, that's how I felt...I got back to the apartment where I've been staying and passed out for hours.  Great day, fun times and I hope this gets only better.

The Most Laziest Day of My Life...AWESOME!

So a combination of jetlag and not sleeping very much recently has led to me being really tired.  So when I was told we weren't doing jack-diddly squat today, I was ecstatic.  Literally spent the day talking to the president of AIESEC Koblenz about German, education system in the US (I'm missing two grades so I am annoyed at it) and American football.  I could not have asked for a better day.  We only left the house to buy some food.  And we watched Armageddon in German, which was interesting.  I have seen the movie a thousand times, so I know it by heart.  I knew what they were saying even though I didn't understand it 80% of what they said (ok...fine!  90%...95%? haha)

I need a haircut as bad as Michigan needs to win a Big Ten championship in football right now (or basketball...).  We'll see if I get one soon.  This much hair is starting to annoy me.  And I keep thinking hoe long this post is gonna be when I post it.  Maybe I'll break it up into 2 (or 3) parts.

(As we can see, only 2 parts were needed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment