Hello, friends and family! I introduce you to the wonderful blog that will allow you to keep track of my adventures in Germany (and beyond...) during the summer of 2011. In here, I will post weekly blog posts that will count for fulfilling the requirements for the credits I am receiving for my internship, as well as additional posts to keep everyone up to speed on what I am doing and who I am with. Feel free to share with anyone who would be interested!

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Life Without a Laptop: Part Eins (April 26-27)

The following series of posts were written on paper so that I could then transcribe it on the computer and post when I had my laptop and Internet back.  I am sorry for the delay, and I am sorry for the amount of posts that will come within the next hours.

For those of you who don't know, I have a thing about listening to people speak in other languages.  It sounds fun to me.  What I didn't know was that I enjoy it because it usually is for a short time, and then I can have a full conversation in English with the person.  When it is ALL the time, it can be a bit frustrating.  But, oh well...life goes on and I am slowly learning how to speak some German.  So far I have avoided creating any international conflicts, which is a success.  And ordering food is quite simple...you point and say Bitte (please).

Jetlag hits hard.  However, I had the blessing in disguise that came from my awful sleep pattern that I developed over finals.  Pulling all-nighters and sleeping at 5am-noon back in Michigan, I was able to simply pull one all-nighter and be so tired that I simply fixed it in a couple of days.  I did, however, pass out at 4pm for 2 hours the first day I was here.  That was quite funny for me cause I NEVER nap.

Other than attending official matters for my contract, I have been hanging out at the university.  Germany just started their semester a couple of weeks ago, so my friends are all in class and busy during the day.  I hang out mostly in the cafeteria, or in the student bistro (StuBi for short), which is a bit more pricey (though still pretty cheap) and also has a bar.  If you have never tried beer with banana juice in it, you should.  It's good stuff.  Pretty refreshing.

Today I will get to meet the people in AIESEC Koblenz.  There's only 13 people in their LC (LC is local committee, for those of you who don't speak AIESEC. It's the chapter of AIESEC at the university level).  I will meet them at their meeting tonight.  So fa they have been very friendly and I look forward to making some good friends soon.

And last but not least, I finally know where I am living.  It seems that island life is my destiny.  I won't be in Puerto Rico until August, but it turns out that even in the middle of Germany I found an island for me to live in, right in the middle of the Rhine river (I am told it is the only inhabited island in the Rhine river).  The small island of Niederwerth is just north of Koblenz, in the town of Vallendar.  My bus ride to work is 30-45 minutes, which ends up being not too bad.  I get to move in Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to try those flavors you mention, like the banana juice with beer. Check their names, to see if I can Google up some recipes, and maybe we can try them when you come back home; that way you can help me figure out if the recipe is as good as the original, and I can add it to my cooking repertoire. And if there's some local ingredient I can't get here, you could bring it with you... how does that sound?

    ReplyDelete